LFS Version 6.2 - 8.4. Making the LFS System Bootable

Mag. Leonhard Landrock 1977-Hamlet at gmx.at
Sun Aug 20 07:35:45 PDT 2006

Am Sonntag, 20. August 2006 14:46 schrieb Ken Moffat:
> On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 02:40:08PM +0200, Mag. Leonhard Landrock wrote:
> > As I said: My boot device for LFS is an external USB hard disk. In fact,
> > it is a Western Digital WD2500BB in an external USB case.
>
>  I've not been following this whole thread, so apologies if you've
> already answered the questions below.
>
>  Do you know if your bios can boot from an external disk ?  You might
> have to go through the bios settings to make it possible.

I am not sure wether I am correct, but in fact I boot from my scsi disk. There
is a GRUB installed in the MBR. That GRUB boots the GRUB on the USB disk.

>  If the answer to that is yes, google has a lot of people asking
> questons about doing this, and not many relevant answers.  Possibly,
> passing a rootdelay argument to grub might help, see
> http://www.reactivated.net/weblog/archives/2005/11/booting-linux-userland-f
>rom-an-external-usb-flash-disk/ (yes, I know ithat site is about booting
> from flash, but it might be worth trying).

The kernel gets started. It just hangs later on.

>  Other than that, make sure that all your usb requirements are built
> in to the kernel (EHCI|OHCI|UHCI USB_STORAGE, BLK_DEV_SD).

(part of) linux kernel configuration:

Device Drivers ---> USB support --->
<*> Support for Host-side USB
[*]	    USB verbose debug messages
[*]	    USB device file system
<*>		EHCI HCD (USB 2.0) support
<M>		OHCI HCD support
<*>		UHCI HCD (most Intel and VIA) support
<*> USB Mass Storage support
[*]	    USB Mass Storage verbose debug

I will change the one "modul" entry to an "built-in" entry and try it again
afterwards.

> Ken

Leonhard.