LFS Version 6.2 - 8.4. Making the LFS System Bootable

Brandon Peirce brandon_peirce at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 20 03:51:16 PDT 2006

Mag. Leonhard Landrock wrote:

>When trying to boot my LFS kernel, it starts and finally gets stuck with
>the
>following error:
>
>VFS: Cannot open root device "sdb3" or unknown-block (0,0)
>Please append a correct "root" boot option
>Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block
>(0,0)

>My LFS system:
>==========
>
>(part of) linux kernel configuration:
>
>Device Drivers ---> USB support --->
>[*] USB Mass Storage support
>[*] USB Mass Storage verbose debug

I'm not sure the relevance of USB without knowing your hardware in detail.
However, if your boot device is on /dev/sdb you definitely need to make
sure that you have the relevant SCSI support compiled into the kernel
(not a module).

If it's a SATA disk, you will find the SATA drivers under SCSI low level
drivers in the kernel config. If you're not sure which SATA driver to use,
`lsmod |grep sata_' on your host box should be helpful.

>partitions:
>
>/dev/sdb3       /               ext3    defaults        1       1

You also need ext3 filesystem support compiled in to the kernel
(not as a module).

Hope that helps,
Brandon.