LFS 6.2. Ch6.9 Glibc-2.3.6 error during make check (system halted)

Danny linux at danchi.nl
Sun Aug 20 01:50:56 PDT 2006

Dan Nicholson schreef:
> On 8/18/06, Danny <linux at danchi.nl> wrote:
>>
>> I'm actually building the system straight from a command line on an
>> 'empty' machine. I fully understand that I'm building on an older
>> machine, but didn't have this problem when building 6.1.1
>
> What host are you using? You say this is an empty machine, so does
> that mean you're using the LiveCD? This is extremely important when
> you're running the Glibc test suite. It's very much tied to the
> running system. What version of LInux are you running?

Sorry I indeed forgot to say that I'm using the LiveCD

>> then it starts with:
>>
>> make[2]: *** [/sources/glibc-build/nptl/tst-mutex8.out] Error 1
>> three more pages of errors in this directory nptl and it ends with:
>> make[2]: *** [/sources/glibc-build/nptl/tst-fini1.out] Error 134
>> make[2]: *** [/  "        "         "  /tst-execstack.out] Error 1
>> make1]: [nptl/tests] Error 2
>
> If there's three pages of NPTL errors, then that's a problem.

You can say so.

  > Looking back at your first mail, you said the system was "PII, 350MHz,
> 96Mb". The processor seems OK. At least you shouldn't be running into
> problems with i[3456]86. 96 Mb is tough. If you already built
> LFS-6.1.1, you probably know that you're gonna have to open up a lot
> of swap space.

I use about 220 MB of swap (a little more than double the memory).
Should I use more?

> That many errors in Glibc would usually signal to me that something
> has gone wrong. But maybe you can run the tests again to see if you
> get similar results. I would suggest shutting down any non-essential
> services while the tests are running. I've noticed on both machines I
> build on that the tests are much more likely to pass on an idle box.
> So, go get a cup of coffee (or in your case, a pot of coffee) and let
> the Glibc tests have the run of your machine. Resist the temptation to
> do things that spike your processor.

That's all this pc is for. Answering to this list and reading about lfs
is done on my second pc (which isn't in anyway connected to the other).

> If you run them again and NPTL is still hemorraghing badly, then you
> might want to start over or dig further into the specific failures.

Probably start over and make more swap available too.

DAnny