First-time LFS book reader beeing stuck

Vladimir A. Pavlov pv4 at bk.ru
Sat Aug 19 01:15:11 PDT 2006

On Friday 18 August 2006 14:13, Brandon Peirce wrote:
> However, you actually need to start using this new toolchain _before_
> you get to the chroot part.

Moreover, you _need_ to start using the new toolchain (/tools/*)
components as soon as they appear. In order to do this you have to do
the following steps _before_ the chapter 5:
> 1) You have /tools/bin as the _first_ element of your PATH
> (see "4.4. Setting Up the Environment")
> 2) You have the symlink /tools -> /mnt/data/tools so that your host
> system can

> Cat command you wanted me to produced zero output. So i tired file and
> discovered it is link to `libc-2.3.6.so'. Cat of this was also
> zero-length, so i again used file and got "/tools/lib/libc-2.3.6.so:
> empty". Any idea what to fill inside?

Glibc is built in 5.6 and all the packages build after it _have_ to be
linked with it. This means if you have bad /tools/lib/libc-2.3.6.so
(you do, actually) you have to start all over again from at least 5.6
:(

What to me, I would suggest you to start building LFS from the start
because there may be problems in earlier packages (gcc/binutils pass1)
that led to the empty libc-2.3.6.so (btw I don't know why it's empty).

Another question is how other packages were actually built. It's not
important but I just wonder what library they're linked with. If
possible, run please the following commands to satisfy my curiosity and
send their output here:

ldd /tools/bin/gcc
ldd /tools/bin/ld
ldd /tools/bin/bash