LFS 6.9 Glibc-2.3.6

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 19:53:37 PDT 2006

On 8/18/06, Scott Castaline <hscast at charter.net> wrote:

> all packages built and installed between 1st adjust and gcc 2nd pass are
> ok they reflect the correct /tools/lib/ld-linux.so.2, only gcc is wrong.
> By removing the source files for gcc did I remove something needed in
> the 2nd pass of the gcc build process. The book does say in the
> beginning that at the start of ch6 you should start with new source for
> packages used in ch5. What I had done was wipe out the sources for gcc
> and binutils for the 2nd pass in ch5. If that does wipe out something
> that stays for pass 2 then I guess it's back to 5.1. Should I have just
> destroyed the 1st pass build subdirs and rebuilt on 2nd pass?

No. Always delete the source and build directories unless you're
specifically told to keep one or the other. In fact, trying to keep
the same source directory for gcc-pass1 and -pass2 would be a very bad
thing. There are certain patches and adjustments done to the source in
-pass2 that would ruin your build if you didn't make them.

This is a rule of thumb for all building from source. Always start out
with a freshly unpacked tree unless there is a good reason not to.
Then you know exactly what state the files are in before you start
patching/configuring/compiling/etc.

--
Dan