Uninstalling software in Linux

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Fri Aug 18 16:06:56 PDT 2006

Angel Tsankov wrote:

>>> Did you have to change makefiles too often? And was it makefiles or
>>> makefile.in's?
>> Actually, I remember changing only one Makefile--and I should have
>> changed the makefile.in.  That was in 'hplip' for my printer. I don't
>> remember having to change any other package.  I have had to 'read and
>> research' makefiles to see if the whole "directory chain" of an
>> install needed to be converted to "install directories."
>
> Hmm, that looks like a dawnting task. Have you not tried the package
> user wrappers - in a previous post on this thread Matthias Benkmann
> said: "Having to change Makefiles is a rare occurrence because the
> wrappers deal with almost everything automatically"?
He is right.  I've had to change only one file and that may have been
because hplip is geared towards KDE and GNOME desktops and all the
"root" stuff.  Understanding the Makefile allows me to create "install"
directories where I need them.  It's really not that bad once you get
into it.

I would recommend, however, that you use this management system "from
the ground up."  I tried shifting to it once after I had already started
an LFS build.  I just made problems for myself--at that time I really
didn't know what I was doing--as if I do now :-)

If your considering this, I'd just jump in and do it.  The hint will get
you passed the first few packages and you learn about install
directories and other little things.

Good luck!

Dan