LFS Version 6.2 - Chapter 7. Setting Up System Bootscripts - The Bash Shell Startup Files

Mag. Leonhard Landrock 1977-Hamlet at gmx.at
Fri Aug 18 10:29:50 PDT 2006

Hi again!

This time a more important question. ;-)

Invoking "locale -a" I get the following output:

root:/# locale -a
POSIX
de_AT
de_AT.iso88591
de_AT.iso885915 at euro
de_AT at euro
de_DE
de_DE.iso88591
de_DE.iso885915 at euro
de_DE at euro
en_HK
en_HK.iso88591
en_PH
en_PH.iso88591
en_US
en_US.iso88591
en_US.utf8
es_MX
es_MX.iso88591
fa_IR
fa_IR.utf8
fr_FR
fr_FR.iso88591
fr_FR.iso885915 at euro
fr_FR.utf8
fr_FR at euro
it_IT
it_IT.iso88591
ja_JP
ja_JP.eucjp

Great. :-)

Next, I have a look at de_AT and its friends.

root:/# LC_ALLL=de_AT locale charmap
ANSI_X3.4-1968

Looks good as there is some output. Let's go on.

root:/# LC_ALLL=ANSI_X3.4-1968 locale language

root:/#

Strange. No output here.

Same situation for "LC_ALLL=ANSI_X3.4-1968 locale int_curr_symbol"
and "LC_ALLL=ANSI_X3.4-1968 locale int_prefix".

The LFS book says:

"The above commands should print the language name, the character encoding
used by the locale, the local currency, and the prefix to dial before the
telephone number in order to get into the country. If any of the commands
above fail with a message similar to the one shown below, this means that
your locale was either not installed in Chapter 6 or is not supported by the
default installation of Glibc."

What can/shall I do now?

Kind regards,
Leonhard.