Uninstalling software in Linux

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Fri Aug 18 03:34:12 PDT 2006

Angel Tsankov wrote:

>> I've really found no other problems with it.  Install, uninstall,
>> monitor.  It all works quite well for me, but there was an
>> aggravating learning curve.  Additionally, like the hint promises, I
>> really know my system and now I understand Makefules.
>
> Did you have to change makefiles too often? And was it makefiles or
> makefile.in's?
Actually, I remember changing only one Makefile--and I should have
changed the makefile.in.  That was in 'hplip' for my printer.  I don't
remember having to change any other package.  I have had to 'read and
research' makefiles to see if the whole "directory chain" of an install
needed to be converted to "install directories."

Dan