First-time LFS book reader beeing stuck

Richard Szlachta richard.szlachta at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 11:46:54 PDT 2006

I am reading LFS book for first time in my life. I must say: big, BIG thanks
to authors!
I now a bit about gnu/linux inside things, and this book really helps me to
extend my knowledge. I am going thru the book without making things very
different than in a book. I just haven't created lfs user, i do everything by
root account.
Everything has been going nice, but now i got stuck at strange error. In part
6.4 - Entering chroot ... - the chroot command does not work. (my chroot was
behaving correctly last time i used it - maybe month ago)

Here is what it says:

// command as in book

root at fireball:/data#: chroot "$LFS" /tools/bin/env -i \
     HOME=/root TERM="$TERM" PS1='\u:\w\$ ' \
     PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/tools/bin \
     /tools/bin/bash --login +h
chroot: cannot run command `/tools/bin/env': No such file or directory

// yes, i have got ...env file on my machine

root at fireball:/data#: file /tools/bin/env
/tools/bin/env: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for
GNU/Linux 2.6.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

// my lfs variable

root at fireball:/data#: echo $LFS
/mnt/data

// if prompt seems strange to someone

root at fireball:/data#: file /data
/data: symbolic link to `/mnt/data'

// I as i realize i have NOT /tools/bin in my path at the moment, i
// added it and got this:

root at fireball:/data#: export
PATH="/tools/bin/:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin"

root at fireball:/data#: chroot "$LFS" /tools/bin/env -i     HOME=/root
TERM="$TERM" PS1='\u:\w\$ '
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/tools/bin     /tools/bin/bash --login +h
chroot: error while loading shared libraries: /tools/lib/libc.so.6: file too
short

//

Well, it reproduces two different errors, but no good things. It seems to me
that something went wrong, but i am unable to think out where things gone
wrong.
To be mentioned, i have never used any checks as book says it is not
mandatory.
So, can anyone give me directions how or where to repair it? And what may have
went wrong.

Thanks in advice!

Richard "Ricardo" Szlachta

JID: ricardo.szl at jabber.cz