Uninstalling software in Linux

Dan McGhee beesnees at grm.net
Thu Aug 17 04:02:16 PDT 2006

Chris Staub wrote:
> Angel Tsankov wrote:
>> Has someone tried out Matthias Benkmann's package users approach to
>> package management? If so, could you please answer the following
>> questions:
>> -did you encounter any unexpected problems, e.g. ones not mentioned
>> in the hint at
>> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/more_control_and_pkg_man.txt;
>>
>> -did you find any disadvantages;
>
> I don't use it myself, but I do know it's one of the primary causes of
> problems reported in the #lfs-support IRC channel. Granted, many of
> the problems seem to be due to users that just don't have sufficient
> experience but try it anyway (due to the fact it's mentioned in the
> book as an LFS-specific package management method), but I think that,
> even taking that into account, it's really more trouble than it's worth.
I've used it three times now.  The first time was the first LFS system
that I built.  I started with no package management then found the
hint.  "Switching horses in the middle of the stream" was not a good
idea and I threw my hands up in frustration.

Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I used it from the beginning on the
second and third times I built LFS and BLFS.  Once I got used to it
things went well.  The most agravating thing for me is that the install
will fail if the install wants to write things, file or directory, in a
directory owned my another user or root.  You must then make these
directories "install" directories as the hint indicates.  This occurs
only in the packages installed in BLFS.  The hint can't cover everything.

I've really found no other problems with it.  Install, uninstall,
monitor.  It all works quite well for me, but there was an aggravating
learning curve.  Additionally, like the hint promises, I really know my
system and now I understand Makefules.

Dan