Uninstalling software in Linux

Dave Abergel davelargeuk2 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 16 23:02:40 PDT 2006

Angel Tsankov wrote:
>> The LFS book says how to install certain applications but it does not
>> say anything about uninstalling software. How does Linux handle
>> uninstalling software?
>
> Has someone tried out Matthias Benkmann's package users approach to
> package management? If so, could you please answer the following questions:
> -did you encounter any unexpected problems, e.g. ones not mentioned in
> the hint at
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/more_control_and_pkg_man.txt;
>
> -did you find any disadvantages;

I used it a while ago (to build LFS-6.1) before swapping to paco for my
most recent build.

As far as I remember, there were no problems that weren't listed in the
LFS specifics section, or that fell under the general 'common problems'
section. However, it is a while ago and I've no tried 6.1.1 or 6.2 using
the hint.

The only disadvantage was that it was a bit time consuming, and that it
made it harder to script the build. (I guess I could have used sudo, but
it seemed easier to switch to paco instead.)

Hope that helps
Dave
--
LFS User #16110