Uninstalling software in Linux

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Wed Aug 16 04:44:11 PDT 2006

Angel Tsankov wrote:
> Has someone tried out Matthias Benkmann's package users approach to
> package management? If so, could you please answer the following questions:
> -did you encounter any unexpected problems, e.g. ones not mentioned in
> the hint at
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/more_control_and_pkg_man.txt;
>
> -did you find any disadvantages;

I don't use it myself, but I do know it's one of the primary causes of
problems reported in the #lfs-support IRC channel. Granted, many of the
problems seem to be due to users that just don't have sufficient
experience but try it anyway (due to the fact it's mentioned in the book
as an LFS-specific package management method), but I think that, even
taking that into account, it's really more trouble than it's worth.