LFS Version 6.2 - Chapter 6. Installing Basic System Software - Autoconf-2.59

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 12:24:40 PDT 2006

On 8/15/06, Mag. Leonhard Landrock <1977-Hamlet at gmx.at> wrote:
> Am Montag, 14. August 2006 23:37 schrieb Dan Nicholson:
> >
> > Did this problem occur as mentioned in that old thread because you ran
> > ./Configure to check the defaults before running ./configure.gnu?
>
> I think so. At least I run "/sources/perl-5.8.8/Configure" first and only then
> "./configure.gnu --prefix=/usr \
>     -Dman1dir=/usr/share/man/man1 \
>     -Dman3dir=/usr/share/man/man3 \
>     -Dpager="/usr/bin/less -isR"".

OK. I'd have to investigate whether this fix is accurate or not, but
maybe we should be passing -Dprefix=/usr instead of --prefix. Then we
could leave the note about "run Configure..." alone.

> > If
> > so, this definitely needs to be in the book.
>
> So one should run only
> "./configure.gnu --prefix=/usr \
>     -Dman1dir=/usr/share/man/man1 \
>     -Dman3dir=/usr/share/man/man3 \
>     -Dpager="/usr/bin/less -isR""?

Right. It appears that the problem is that if you Configure first, it
sets the prefix to /usr/local and passes that on to the configuration
files. When you subsequently run ./configure.gnu, passing
--prefix=/usr doesn't override the previous run. All of the
configuration files still think the prefix is /usr/local. Needs
investigation.

> BTW: Is there a suimple an well known way to remove the "wrong" perl
> installation?
>
> For my first working (!) LFS installation I simple want to get the whole stuff
> running. -> It is OK for me to have an unused perl in "/usr"local" if that is
> the safest way to get it work.

I wouldn't leave it there. It's already proven to screw you once. It's
easy to remove right now because it should be the only thing in
/usr/local. You could do

find /usr/local -type f | xargs rm -f

Or, blow away the entire /usr/local directory and rebuild the basic
directory structure from Ch. 6.5.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter06/creatingdirs.html

Of course, the best way would be a package manager, but that's OT.

--
Dan