LFS Version 6.2 - Chapter 6. Installing Basic System Software - Autoconf-2.59

Mag. Leonhard Landrock 1977-Hamlet at gmx.at
Tue Aug 15 12:26:19 PDT 2006

Am Montag, 14. August 2006 23:37 schrieb Dan Nicholson:
> On 8/14/06, Mag. Leonhard Landrock <1977-Hamlet at gmx.at> wrote:
> > Can't locate File/Glob.pm in @INC (@INC
> > contains: /sources/autoconf-2.59/tests/../lib
> > /tools/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i686-linux /tools/lib/perl5/5.8.8
> > /tools/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/i686-linux
> > /tools/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 /tools/lib/perl5/site_perl .)
>
> It's using the perl in /tools, probably due to the /usr/bin/perl
> symlink and new perl installed in /usr/local/bin.
>
> > 3b.)
> > http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-support/2005-March
> >/026586.html
> >
> > After reading them I believe, that my problem is described best with the
> > thread number 3. In fact, when starting the installation of perl I run
> > the "Configure" script and accept most of its defaults. Especially those
> > for path names.
>
> Wow. What a piece of garbage. I haven't run Configure directly in a
> long time, so I never noticed this wonderful feature.
>
> Did this problem occur as mentioned in that old thread because you ran
> ./Configure to check the defaults before running ./configure.gnu?

I think so. At least I run "/sources/perl-5.8.8/Configure" first and only then
"./configure.gnu --prefix=/usr \
    -Dman1dir=/usr/share/man/man1 \
    -Dman3dir=/usr/share/man/man3 \
    -Dpager="/usr/bin/less -isR"".

> If
> so, this definitely needs to be in the book.

So one should run only
"./configure.gnu --prefix=/usr \
    -Dman1dir=/usr/share/man/man1 \
    -Dman3dir=/usr/share/man/man3 \
    -Dpager="/usr/bin/less -isR""?

> > 1.) Can anyone tell me a good way to easily get perl right?
>
> Wipe out the perl source directory, and rebuild it _without_ running
> ./Configure first. Or, run ./Configure to find the settings you want,
> wipe the directory and run ./configure.gnu from a fresh directory.

OK. Thanks. I will rename the whole "/sources/perl-5.8.8" directory and build
it new.

BTW: Is there a suimple an well known way to remove the "wrong" perl
installation?

For my first working (!) LFS installation I simple want to get the whole stuff
running. -> It is OK for me to have an unused perl in "/usr"local" if that is
the safest way to get it work.

> > 2.) What of these packages need a new installation:
> >         *) Perl-5.8.8
> >         *) Readline-5.1
> >         *) Zlib-1.2.3
> >         *) Autoconf-2.59
>
> I'm pretty sure autoconf is the only one, but it can't hurt to rebuild
> the other ones.

All right. It's no problem to restart with those packages. ;-)

> --
> Dan

Leonhard.