Uninstalling software in Linux

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Aug 15 11:01:14 PDT 2006

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 05:11:51PM +0300, Angel Tsankov wrote:

> It seems to me that the best way to go (for a Linux novice like me) is to
> use the uninstall target of makefiles, if one is available.
> Generally speaking, the doer of smth should also be the one who can best
> undo it. Anything else is second guessing... And guessing smth is not like
> being certain of it.
> Anyway, thanks a lot for the replies! I just wanted to get a notion of what
> possibilites exist and how reliable they are.

 For LFS (as distinct from BLFS), I don't see why you would want to
uninstall (pruning a built system to remove excess documentation and
generally slim it down is a different issue).  Most of what is in
LFS is not optional - from time to time you may upgrade a package,
but often it will have a circular dependency on itself - remove it
before installing a new version and you will not be able to build
the new version (this is generally true for the packages in chapter
5).  And if you try to uninstall the old version after installing
the new one, it will usually remove the new version's files where
the names are the same (executables, possibly libraries).

 A couple of years ago, there was definitely a problem with 'make
uninstall' for one of the LFS packages, search the archives if you
care.  Remember that most people here do not run 'make uninstall' so
it is not well-tested for any package.

Ken