LFS Version 6.2 - Chapter 6. Installing Basic System Software - Autoconf-2.59

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 14:37:46 PDT 2006

On 8/14/06, Mag. Leonhard Landrock <1977-Hamlet at gmx.at> wrote:

> Can't locate File/Glob.pm in @INC (@INC
> contains: /sources/autoconf-2.59/tests/../lib /tools/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i686-linux /tools/lib/perl5/5.8.8 /tools/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/i686-linux /tools/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 /tools/lib/perl5/site_perl .)

It's using the perl in /tools, probably due to the /usr/bin/perl
symlink and new perl installed in /usr/local/bin.

> 3b.)
> http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-support/2005-March/026586.html
>
> After reading them I believe, that my problem is described best with the
> thread number 3. In fact, when starting the installation of perl I run
> the "Configure" script and accept most of its defaults. Especially those for
> path names.
>
> Now "Policy.sh" (/sources/perl-5.8.8/Policy.sh) contains the following:
>
> "# Installation prefixes.  Allow a Configure -D override.  You
> # may wish to reinstall perl under a different prefix, perhaps
> # in order to test a different configuration.
> # For an explanation of the installation directories, see the
> # INSTALL file section on "Installation Directories".
> case "$prefix" in
> '') prefix='/usr/local' ;;
> esac"

Wow. What a piece of garbage. I haven't run Configure directly in a
long time, so I never noticed this wonderful feature.

Did this problem occur as mentioned in that old thread because you ran
./Configure to check the defaults before running ./configure.gnu? If
so, this definitely needs to be in the book.

> 1.) Can anyone tell me a good way to easily get perl right?

Wipe out the perl source directory, and rebuild it _without_ running
./Configure first. Or, run ./Configure to find the settings you want,
wipe the directory and run ./configure.gnu from a fresh directory.

> 2.) What of these packages need a new installation:
>         *) Perl-5.8.8
>         *) Readline-5.1
>         *) Zlib-1.2.3
>         *) Autoconf-2.59

I'm pretty sure autoconf is the only one, but it can't hurt to rebuild
the other ones.

--
Dan