LFS 6.2 -> procps-3.2.6 compile prob

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 23:54:31 PDT 2006

On 8/13/06, Kevin Walker <indigoskywalker at gmail.com> wrote:

> cc -fno-common -ffast-math -W -Wall -Wshadow -Wcast-align
> -Wredundant-decls -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings
> -Waggregate-return -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -O2 -s
>     top.o proc/libproc-3.2.7.so -Wl,-warn-common  -o top -lncurses
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot open linker script file
> /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.0.3/../../../libncursesw.so: Too many
> open files
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [top] Error 1

Too many open files is an odd error, but I have a good guess where
it's coming from. libncurses.so is a linker script that opens
libncursesw.so. This is to work around a bug in ldconfig. Anyway, we
create the linker script in the ncurses install in Ch. 6.18. Have a
close look at the install instructions at the end of that chapter and
make sure that the text in /usr/lib/libncurses.so matches what's
supposed to be there. It should be

/usr/lib/libncurses.so:
INPUT(-lncursesw)

If it's not an error with creating the linker scripts, then I'm baffled.

--
Dan