lfs-support Digest, Vol 1046, Issue 1

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 16:27:26 PDT 2006

On 8/13/06, Jeremy Henty <jeremy at chaos.org.uk> wrote:

> OK, I upgraded and *nearly* got it completely right first time.
> Nothing actually broke, but I was plagued by messages about "bad
> message magic udevd_071" when booting up or shutting down.  For the
> record, I had tripped over two gotchas:
>
>   * I needed to run "make uninstall" in the udev-071 build tree before
>     installing udev-096.  If you don't do that then something in the
>     old udev-071 installation gets triggered during the boot.

Not sure if this is related, but the LFS install passes `DESTDIR=/' to
make since the default install target tries to restart udevd if you
install to the root directory.

>   * I needed to disable hotplug.  (I inserted "exit 0" at the top of
>     the bootscript.)

You shouldn't need to do that. I'm not sure where you put the exit 0,
but the proper way to handle this now is with:

echo > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug

Then udev will handle hotplugging.

--
Dan