LFS 6.1.1: umount: /mnt/lfs: device is busy

Brandon Peirce brandon_peirce at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 12 13:06:38 PDT 2006

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 12:41:45 +0300, Angel Tsankov wrote:
>>Also, if you forgot to unmount anything while chrooted, that would do it
>>too.
>
>I have not mounted anything other than the following devices (during
>populating /dev):
>
>mount -nvt tmpfs none /dev
>mount -vt devpts -o gid=4,mode=620 none /dev/pts
>mount -vt tmpfs none /dev/shm
>
>I guess I do not need to unmount these devices, right?

If you issued those commands _inside_ the chroot env, then
yes you do need to umount them before leaving it (or chroot back
in to recover).

You can always check those with cat /proc/mounts. That will show
_all_ the mounts, both on the host and inside the chroot, whereas
they use seperate /etc/mtab which each show only an incomplete
picture.  Two points to note:
1° the output of mount comes from /etc/mtab
2° for filesystems mounted from within the chroot env, /proc/mounts
will show a different mount point depending on whether you are in
the chroot or not.

B.