LFS 6.2 ncurses failure

Peter Ennis peterennis at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 8 17:01:05 PDT 2006

> This was the failure. It's still looking in /tools/lib, and we don't
> build the wide character libncursesw in Ch. 5. See below. BTW, thanks
> for including the sanity check. Always helpful.
>
> > root:/ncurses-5.5# find / -name libncursesw.so.5 -ls
> > find: /proc/1/task: Permission denied
> > 116158    0 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           18 Aug  8 16:18
/usr/lib/libncursesw.so.5 -> libncursesw.so.5.5
> > 195912    0 lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           18 Aug  8 00:35
/ncurses-5.5/lib/libncursesw.so.5 -> libncursesw.so.5.5

> OK, so libncursesw is there, but not in /tools.
>
> > SEARCH_DIR("/tools/i686-pc-linux-gnu/lib"); SEARCH_DIR("/tools/lib");
>
> Uh oh. ld is still looking in /tools.

So it looks like PEBKAC allowed the sanity checks to
be bypassed.

Perhaps a test script at the earliest needed points in Ch5 and Ch6
could be added in the FAQ that would provide a definitive
pass and fail status?

e.g.

if sanity_check_is_ok then
   success_message
   continue
else
   fail_message
   die
fi

and lfsers could be pointed to this FAQ.
It could use the tests you have put in the book
and others that may be helpful for support.
I would be happy to help with the test and
development if you think it valuable.

BTW - I worked out how to use gmane :)

Thanks,

Peter