LFS 6.2 ncurses failure

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 18:26:26 PDT 2006

On 8/7/06, Peter Ennis <peterennis at yahoo.com> wrote:

> LFS-6.2
>
> 6.16 ncurses
>
> I could get past this point is all the PRE versions
> and in the last months SVN books, but now it fails.
> Nothing shows in config.log and no clear google help.

What's the host? Same as before?

> Any suggestions on how to debug?

Look at misc/run-tic.sh and misc/shlib. After building, it attempts to
run tic from the source directory to populate the terminfo directory.
I've seen this one off and on for a while on the lazyweb, but I can't
recall one definitive fix. Time to look at those scripts once and for
all. I have a feeling they're making some poor assumptions.

> Running tic to install /usr/share/terminfo ...
>
>         You may see messages regarding extended capabilities, e.g.,
> AX.
>         These are extended terminal capabilities which are compiled
>         using
>                 tic -x

This is what it was trying to run, probably with an LD_LIBRARY_PATH prefix.

> tic: error while loading shared libraries: libncursesw.so.5: cannot

Does this come after the shared library is installed? I.e., does
/usr/lib/libncursesw.so.5 exist yet? I don't have the source package
handy. Try to break down at what point run-tic.sh is run and exactly
what command it's trying to execute.

--
Dan