lfs-6.2: ncurses install error

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 06:29:38 PDT 2006

On 8/7/06, randhir phagura <rsphagura at hotmail.com> wrote:

> /sbin/ldconfig: Can't create temporary cache file /etc/ld.so.cache~:
> Permission denied
> make[1]: [install] Error 1 (ignored)

This is fine. You're not root, you can't update the host's linker cache.

> sh ./run_tic.sh
> ** Building terminfo database, please wait...
> Running tic to install /tools/share/terminfo ...
>
>         You may see messages regarding extended capabilities, e.g., AX.
>         These are extended terminal capabilities which are compiled
>         using
>                 tic -x
>         If you have ncurses 4.2 applications, you should read the INSTALL
>         document, and install the terminfo without the -x option.
>
> ./shlib: line 140: 24106 Segmentation fault      tic -x -s -o
> /tools/share/terminfo terminfo.tmp

This is the problem. In order to populate /tools/share/terminfo, it's
trying to run the newly built tic from within the source directory.
Apparently, you're new tic is segfaulting for some reason. I think you
can recreate this error with the following command (pulled from
misc/run-tic.sh and misc/shlib):

cd ncurses-5.5
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./progs:./lib ./progs/tic -x -s -o
/tools/share/terminfo misc/terminfo.tmp

Additionally, tic takes a -v verbose parameter, so you could add that
into the command to see what's going on. Other than that, I don't know
what to say. I don't know why building tic would be a problem.

--
Dan