glibc-2.3.4 make check error

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Aug 4 06:21:36 PDT 2006

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 10:11:26AM +0200, Danny wrote:
> (as the 6.1.1 book isn't available online anymore (am I correct in
> this??))  Any chance that 6.2 will lead to more timeout events 'cause of
> the old hardware?
>
> Danny

 All old releases are at
http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs-museum/

 I'll agree that I don't think you have anything to worry about in
your test results.

 The positive side to starting again with the current book is that
you'll get a reasonably modern kernel, with recent fixes, to say
nothing of a more up to date toolchain, so you should be in a better
position to update the system as new vulnerabilities are fixed (e.g.
Adrian Bunk is going to maintain the 2.6.16 kernel for a while, or
upgrading to 2.6.17 should be straightforward - updating the kernel
from what is in 6.1.1 means changing udev and the bootscripts).

 The downsides are that it will take longer to build, and you might
get more timeouts.

 In general, if this is a one-off "find out how it works" exercise,
you will save time continuing with the book you have been using.  If
this is an attempt to make a usable system, you will do better to
use the latest book and then development blfs.

Ken