hash doesn't turn off

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 13:09:20 PDT 2006

On 8/3/06, nadav vinik <nadavlists at gmail.com> wrote:

> whereis clear
> clear: /usr/bin/clear /usr/bin/X11/clear
> /usr/share/man/man1/clear.1.gz /usr/share/man/man3/clear.3ncurses.gz

What's the output from `which clear'? How about `type -a clear', since
that's actually what the shell will use. I don't know exactly how
`whereis' works, but I think it has a hardcoded set of paths to look
in. Could be wrong there. Wait, yes it does. From `man whereis':

BUGS
       Since whereis uses chdir(2V) to run faster, pathnames  given  with  the
       -M, -S, or -B must be full; that is, they must begin with a `/'.

       whereis has a hard-coded path, so may not always find what you're look-
       ing for.

--
Dan