segfault while compiling tcl

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 31 09:50:36 PST 2005

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Sam Tygier wrote:

> Ken Moffat wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Sam Tygier wrote:
>>
>>> hello
>>>
>>> this is my first try at a lfs system. the computer is a via epia MII6000.
>>> i am using the live cd 6.1-3.
>>>

>>  Some via cpus in the past didn't have an instruction gcc  used for i686.
>> But if you can bootstrap the first compiler and build glibc, I doubt that
>> is the problem.
>
> sounds possible, i know this machine can't run the 686 kernels in ubuntu. i
> think it does not support all the extra instructions.
>
> is there a way to force it to only use 386 (or c3 compatable) instructions?

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/crosscompiling-x86.txt

  Must admit, I didn't realise that was being maintained again.  Sounds
as if pretending to be i386 might be the way forward.  That recommends
i386 for the old via C3.  If you have the time, google might be able to
provide a better solution for an epia - I imagine you can run i586
binaries (you are missing the cmov instruction), but I don't know which
will be faster.

Ken