segfault while compiling tcl

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 31 07:57:24 PST 2005

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Sam Tygier wrote:

> hello
>
> this is my first try at a lfs system. the computer is a via epia MII6000. i
> am using the live cd 6.1-3.

  Some via cpus in the past didn't have an instruction gcc  used for
i686.  But if you can bootstrap the first compiler and build glibc, I
doubt that is the problem.

> everything goes fine up till compiling tcl. it segfaults with the following
> message
>
> gcc -pipe -c -O2  -DTCL_DBGX= -Wall -Wno-implicit-int -fno-strict-aliasing
> -fPIC -I./../generic -I. -DPEEK_XCLOSEIM=1 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE=1
> -DTCL_WIDE_INT_TYPE=long\ long -DHAVE_STRUCT_STAT64=1 -DHAVE_OPEN64=1
[...]
> -DHAVE_SYS_IOCTL_H=1         -DTCL_SHLIB_EXT=\".so\" ./../unix/tclLoadDl.c
> rm -f libtclstub8.4.a
> ar cr libtclstub8.4.a tclStubLib.o  ; ranlib libtclstub8.4.a
> /bin/sh: line 1: 23253 Segmentation fault      ranlib libtclstub8.4.a
> make: *** [libtclstub8.4.a] Error 139
>
> it always fails in the same place with the same error

  Segmentation faults ('signal 11') are usually a sign that something is
not well - bad memory, insufficient processor cooling, perhaps bad power
supply.  But, gcc and glibc are usually a much harder test of the
machine, and failing in the exact same place is not especially common.

  I recommend running memtest86+ for several hours.  Via epias tend to
come in exotic cases, you might want to check if the cooling seems
adequate (e.g. use any bios readings, or feel how hot any external
metalwork gets).

Ken