bash: /tools/bin/su: No such file or directory

Mike Clawson mclawson at malik.princeton.edu
Sun Oct 30 19:21:34 PST 2005

> I am working on LFS 6.1 and have completed it through section 6.8. I am
> using the LFS LiveCD. I am also working through the more control and
> package management stuff. When I tried to switch to the
> linux-libc-headers user to install it, I received the following error:
>
> bash: /tools/bin/su: No such file or directory
>
> I have also tried it manually:
> root:/# su linux-libc-headers
> bash: /tools/bin/su: No such file or directory
>
> The file exists:
> root:/# ls -l /tools/bin/su
> -rwxrwxrwx  1 root root 20800 Oct 29 22:14 /tools/bin/su
>
> I cannot get su to work in the chroot environment. It works fine through
> a different console. So the file exists, su is "found" because
> /tools/bin is in $PATH, but it won't execute. I have tried searching in
> Google on this but I'm not familiar enough with the problem to be able
> to narrow down the search results. I figure I must have done (not done)
> something that would cause this, but I have no idea where to start. I
> have rebooted the system and redone chapter 6 up through 6.8, but there
> was no change. Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Scott

My suspicion is that you are missing some dynamic libraries
that are needed in the chroot environment.  I did an experiment,
I just copied the 'ls' program to an empty directory, moved to
that directory, and executed the command 'chroot . ./ls.'  The
output was that the ls command could not be found.  Then I
copied the /lib directory to the new directory I created, and
repeated the 'chroot . ./ls' command; this time it worked.  So
I think probably you have some libraries set up in the host
environment that are not available in the chroot environment.

If that isn't the answer, then I don't know what else to try.

Mike