bash: /tools/bin/su: No such file or directory

Scott Loewen scott at sierralima.com
Sun Oct 30 18:42:32 PST 2005

I am working on LFS 6.1 and have completed it through section 6.8. I am
using the LFS LiveCD. I am also working through the more control and
package management stuff. When I tried to switch to the
linux-libc-headers user to install it, I received the following error:

bash: /tools/bin/su: No such file or directory

I have also tried it manually:
root:/# su linux-libc-headers
bash: /tools/bin/su: No such file or directory

The file exists:
root:/# ls -l /tools/bin/su
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root root 20800 Oct 29 22:14 /tools/bin/su

I cannot get su to work in the chroot environment. It works fine through
a different console. So the file exists, su is "found" because
/tools/bin is in $PATH, but it won't execute. I have tried searching in
Google on this but I'm not familiar enough with the problem to be able
to narrow down the search results. I figure I must have done (not done)
something that would cause this, but I have no idea where to start. I
have rebooted the system and redone chapter 6 up through 6.8, but there
was no change. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott