pure64 library linking question

Ryan Twitchell tryan2stor at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 30 12:30:23 PST 2005

I've just built a system using the x86_64-64 version of the LFS book.
Somehow, some (not all) of my libraries ended up installing in /lib64,
as well as /usr/lib64 and /usr/X11R6/lib64. All these directories are
symlinks to their respective plain 'lib' folders; so for each tree
everything is essentially in the same directory. A few libraries seem
to have been linked to programs through lib64.

My concern is how this could affect my system in the long run (The
phrase "subtly broken toolchain" really made me nervous when reading
the LFS book for the first time). I imagine the only real way to fix it
is to recompile anything linking through the lib64 directories, but I
would greatly appreciate any suggestions on management of this little
quirk.

I performed 'ldd /usr/bin/* | grep lib64' on all the standard bin and
lib directories. A lot of libraries and the glibc installed programs
link ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 through /lib64. Though I do recall more than
just that library being installed through the /lib64 directory
originally.

I did perform the toolchain adjustment in the book. 'gcc -dumpspecs |
grep lib64' yields nothing now, though there are a few lines about
lib32 (there isn't such a directory). Also, there doesn't seem to be an
actual 'specs' file anywhere on my machine. Should one actually exist?

Thanks,
  Ryan

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.