Kernel panic - not syncing. No init found.

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Oct 29 03:36:32 PDT 2005

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005, Andreas Åberg wrote:

>>> 1. Yes they exist.
>>>
>>> 2. Yes i can run /bin/bash, and everything else to.
>>>

>>  Odd. In that case, the primary suspect has to be a linking problem.
>> I'm no expert on how programs linked with uClibc ought to look, but
>> what does 'ldd /bin/bash' show when you are inside chroot ?
>>
>>  FWIW, if this was a /dev problem, I think you would get a different
>> message, something like "unable to open initial console".  You do have
>> console and null in /mnt/lfs/dev (before running udevstart in chroot),
>> don't you ?
>>
>> Ken
> No I have checked that and there is nit linking problem.

  Sure ?  If you don't tell the list what ldd shows, nobody can offer
alternative views, or be reminded of previous things they've seen.

  I was going to say that I'm out of ideas, but I do have one more - one
of the libraries shown by ldd doesn't exist.

> I have a console and a null, however I did notice now that i miss a
> /dev/initctl where does that come into the picture?

  Created by init, apparently, as a fifo for telinit to use.  But, how do
you know it's missing ?  In a normal boot the kernel sees the /dev
containing only console and null, then later mounts a filesystem over it
and uses udev to populate that.  You haven't had a successful boot, so
you can't see what did or didn't get created.

  If you mount /mnt/lfs and do not attempt to chroot to it, its /dev
directory should contain only console and null, as character special
devices 5,1 and 1,3.

Ken