iptraf

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Oct 28 14:59:49 PDT 2005

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, Daryn Neadow wrote:

> Has anyone had any luck building iptraf on LFS-6.1?
>
> I recieve the same errors weather I build 3.0.0 or 2.7.0.  Here is the complie
> errors that I recieve from the 3.0.0 version:
>
> root at lfs:/usr/src/iptraf-3.0.0/src# make
> gcc -Wall  -DWORKDIR=\"/var/local/iptraf\" -DLOGDIR=\"/var/log/iptraf\"
> -DEXECDIR=\"/usr/local/bin\" -I/usr/include/ncurses -I../support
> -DVERSION=\"3.0.0\" -DPLATFORM=\"Linux/i386\"     -c -o iptraf.o iptraf.c
> In file included from tcptable.h:27,
>                 from iptraf.c:54:
> /usr/include/net/if.h:45: error: parse error before numeric constant
> /usr/include/net/if.h:111: error: redefinition of `struct ifmap'

  Find your local google mirror (actually, that's quite hard - google for
iptraf ebuild), then go into the net-analyzer/iptraf directory and dig
out the iptraf-2.7.0-2.6 patch (no, I've no idea if it still applies to
3.0.0) - looks like the 2.6 kernel headers break it.

  You might also want to try some of the Rock Linux patches, although at
least one of those only causes 'make' to fail after an error, instead of
carrying on regardless.

  Generally, the big name distros are more likely to tame the obscure
packages, so it can help to know where to look (particularly for older
stuff).  I start by recommending gentoo and Rock because they use
conventional patches - fedora, mandriva, and suse require you to be able
to play with SRPMS (rpm2cpio script plus cpio, but care is still needed
when extracting) and debian/ubuntu provide diffs that include a *lot* of
debian-specific documentation etc.

Ken