Kernel panic - not syncing. No init found.

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Oct 28 11:21:21 PDT 2005

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, Andreas Åberg wrote:

> Hi
> I have compiled a uClibc HLFS system and everything seems to be ok until
> i try to boot it.
>
> (the hda3 gets mounted here without any problem)
> VFS: Mounted root (reiserfs filesystem) readonly
> Kernel panic - not syncing. No init found. Try passing init = option to
> kernel
>
> I have googled and tried everything... help!!!
> I tried to change init to init=/sbin/init and init=/bin/bash and init=3
> but it has no effect what so ever...

  What we know so far:

(i) hda3 does have a reiserfs filesystem.
(ii)the kernel isn't able to run either /sbin/init or /bin/bash on hda3.

1. When you mount hda3 at /mnt/lfs on the host system, do
/mnt/lfs/sbin/init and /mnt/lfs/bin/bash exist ?  If they don't, is the
directory structure garbled (e.g. /mnt/lfs/something/bin/bash exists),
or is it the wrong partition ?

2. If they do exist, when you chroot to /mnt/lfs, can you then run
/bin/bash ?

Ken