gcc 3.4.3 make bootstrap error chapter 5

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 24 11:57:43 PDT 2005

Henry Grefrath wrote:
> Hi Tony,
>
> I was hoping I could build a small system on this laptop. It has 32MB of
> RAM and I setup a 75MB swap partition. The rest of the hard disk 1.2GB
> is mounted as /mnt/lfs.

I think you might struggle with that, I'm afraid.  Building just chapter
5 on an Athlon XP 2400+ with 512MB RAM and 512MB swap took just over 3.5
hours over the weekend (admittedly that included all the toolchain
testsuites as well).  A better approach, if possible, would be to
utilise a much faster machine than your laptop, then copy the resulting
system across, minus any binaries and libraries you don't require.

Regards,

Matt.