oops, how does one re-install gcc?

Tushar Teredesai sukucorp at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 19:36:09 PDT 2005

On 10/19/05, Jeremy Byron <rjjbyron at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Tushar, you say the toolchain programs are backwards compatible but that
> library names can be changed and so they must be preserved.  You aren't
> completely removing the old version in this case, you are creating a
> merged mess of installations.

That is true. One needs a suitable pacakge manager to determine which
files can be removed after an upgrade. Libraries have to be handled in
a special way if there is an soname change, the dependent packages
need to be recompiled. This also requires some form of script to
determine which pacakges need to be recompiled.

> Of course, if you are a technically informed reader, you already know
> whether or not it is safe to replace your toolchain packages with a
> given version difference and what packages will be affected and so you
> can feel free to ignore the 'bad idea'/'should never remove' warnings,
> knowing full well what you are doing.  Unfortunately, many people who
> need to reference the BLFS book do not come close to fitting into this
> category; in fact, I'd be surprised if any but most of the devs do.

:-) So basically guys who know how to upgrade the toolchain packages
don't need to read the LFS book :)

--
Tushar Teredesai
   mailto:tushar at linuxfromscratch.org