oops, how does one re-install gcc?

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Oct 18 15:38:59 PDT 2005

Tushar Teredesai wrote:

> I remember reading on the glibc mailing list that glibc is always
> backward compatible, i.e. an application compiled for glibc-2.2 should
> work on a glibc-2.3 system.

Yes, but have you actually tried to upgrade a glibc installation in-situ
(i.e. on the OS you're currently booted into)?  I remember quite clearly
the effects that had when I accidentally replaced my host's glibc with
an LFS compiled version...it's not pretty, and yes, they were the same
version (2.3.4).  This may well have been caused by the host having
vendor-specific patches, or being compiled with a different version of
gcc, but the experience has definitely put me off ever trying to do such
a thing on purpose!

Regards,

Matt.