oops, how does one re-install gcc?

Jeremy Byron rjjbyron at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 18 15:27:34 PDT 2005

Tushar Teredesai wrote:
> <snip>
> For your current problem, one thing you could do is to use the
> following to install the new gcc:
>   make DESTDIR=/var/tmp/gcc install
> This will install everything into a fakeroot /var/tmp/gcc. Now remove
> the previous gcc version from the standard directories and then
> recursively copy over the file in the fakeroot to their final
> destination. Something like
>   cd /var/tmp/gcc &&
>   tar cf - . | (cd / ; tar xf - )

Problem is, he cannot 'make install' anywhere because he has already
removed the previous gcc version from the standard directories.  (He
said the 'make install' needs gcc to be present and it no longer is.)

Though I'm sure this solution would work otherwise (so long as gcc
doesn't get it's install path hardcoded into anything).

Regards,
Jeremy.