oops, how does one re-install gcc?

Tushar Teredesai sukucorp at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 15:23:21 PDT 2005

On 10/18/05, Jeremy Byron <rjjbyron at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Removing any of the toolchain packages is a bad idea; if you want to
> upgrade or alter their behaviour in any way, you should be rebuilding
> LFS completely from the ground up.  (Not quite true, I suppose, if you
> follow BLFS' overwrite of the same GCC version with more features.. but
> true enough in general.)

Not true. It is a *myth* that has propogated thru these lists so many
times that it *sounds* true. If it were true, gentoo users would need
to reinstall their OS every time a toolchain package was updated.

As long as you are upgrading the toolchain packages (not downgrading)
everything should be ok, especially if they have the same major (and
minor version?) as the package that is already installed. The only
care that needs to be taken is: If the soname of a library has
changed, that library should not be removed until the executables
linked to that library are recompiled.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   mailto:tushar at linuxfromscratch.org