oops, how does one re-install gcc?

Jeremy Byron rjjbyron at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 18 14:55:22 PDT 2005

Doug Ronne wrote:
> Lets say you wanted to re-compile and install your copy of gcc and you
> didn't want some of the files lying around, maybe you didn't want some
> ada compiler anymore or something, and you wanted to make sure that
> you didn't have leftovers from the previous copy.  How would you do
> that?  The make install uses gcc, I don't know if it simply hasn't
> actually finished compiling when make finishes or what, but I removed
> all the old gcc and went to install the freshly compiled one and it
> complained that the old one wasn't there anymore when I typed make
> install.  It was my extra lfs which I've been using to learn about
> optimization and which packages I like, so no big loss but I want to
> know how I should have proceeded.

Removing any of the toolchain packages is a bad idea; if you want to
upgrade or alter their behaviour in any way, you should be rebuilding
LFS completely from the ground up.  (Not quite true, I suppose, if you
follow BLFS' overwrite of the same GCC version with more features.. but
true enough in general.)

On the other hand, if you installed another gcc in /opt/gcc-x.y.z for
some reason (earlier version for binary package support for example),
you could simply delete that and rebuild as you wish.

You should be able to salvage your LFS box by rebuilding the toolchain
(starting from chapter 5, then skipping to the toolchain section in
chapter 6) as long as you use all the same versions.  Maybe.. if you're
careful; though for all I know there could still be breakage.
Essentially, you need a complete toolchain accessible from within your
LFS to rebuild/install the same version of GCC as you had originally
(that's why I suggest the ch5->ch6 toolchain parts.. you get the temp
toolchain in /tools to fix your gcc).

Anyhow, point is, never remove your original toolchain packages.

Regards,
Jeremy.