hint on using the livecd 6.1 to make a lfs system (troubles)

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Mon Oct 17 21:29:05 PDT 2005

Kendrick wrote:
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/install-lfs-from-livecd.txt
>
> I have seen several people atempt to use this hint and are having some
> problems with it. somthing goes wrong with the setenv.sh.  I am
> wondering if somthing needs to be ammended to this  hint or if it
> needs to be shelved.. I would appriciate a thought on it..
>
> Kendrick

I can think of a few problems with the hint already. The main one is
that it suggests that creating the lfs user is not needed. I disagree -
I think the limited user can be useful even when you can't screw up the
whole system. For example, it would keep you from accidently installing
a package into /usr instead of /tools. I know that the hint says that
this stuff doesn't matter because it won't permanently mess up the root
filesystem (the worst that could happen is you have to reboot) but that
kind of mistake could cause you to have to start the whole thing over -
much better to prevent it to begin with.

Also, the idea of setting up a script to recreate lfs user settings
isn't needed either - just keep copies of .bash_profile and .bashrc
somewhere on the partition where you're building ($LFS/tempenv directory
or something like that).