Moving /root partition

Lennon Cook maguswizardo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 21:18:49 PDT 2005

On 10/18/05, Tom <giftbound at verizon.net> wrote:
> How do I correctly move the root partition to another partition? Im
> also want to move /usr /var as well and probably /home
Essentially, if the pathnames of things stay the same (ie, what's
currently in /var will still be in /var, just on a different
partition), you can just move them (mount new /home at /newhome , mv
/home/* /newhome, umount /umount, rmdir /umount, mount new home
/home).
With things outside of /home it gets trickier, since you can't
guarantee files in them won't be being used - but that's what live CDs
are for. Just don't forget to update /etc/fstab and your bootloader
config.

--
Lennon Victor Cook