After running udevstart init fails - doesn't find my partiti

klap2 klap2 at freemail.hu
Sun Oct 16 15:58:12 PDT 2005

Hi all,

I have been using LFS 6.0/BLFS 5.1 happily for more than
half a year now, when I made a mistake.
Reading BLFS 6.1 I found a method to link my dvd drive to
/dev/dvd (it had been a problem all the time before):

cat >> /etc/udev/rules.d/24-dvd.rules << "EOF"
# Create a /dev/dvd symlink

KERNEL="[dvd drive]", SYMLINK="dvd"

EOF
udevstart

Having done that I rebooted my system and it isn't working
anymore - the init process fails with messages:

swapon: cannot stat /dev/sda4
mount: special device /dev/sda1 doesn't exist

and so on, eventually it hangs.

My partitions are as follows:

/dev/sda1 /
/dev/sda2 /usr
/dev/sda3 /home
/dev/sda4 swap

No problems up to that evil day 2 days ago ...

I browsed through the lists and found that some people had
the same problem, it seems to relate to starting udevstart
on a running system.
Some people said the cause is a /dev/.udev.tdb file which
has to be cleared, but I cannot do that.
I tried a method suggested on debian list:

boot with 'init=/bin/sh'
#mount -o remount,rw /
#rm -f /dev/.udev.tdb
#mount -o remount,ro /
#reboot

but nothing, same problem.

I can chroot to my system from my backup system (clever of
me!), but I cannot find a way to solve this problem and to
be able to use my
main system again.

Any help deeply appreciated

Balazs