Expect-5.43.0 make failure in LFS 6.1.3

Default User xyzzyx at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 16 13:18:50 PDT 2005

I am trying to create LFS 6.1.3, using only the current x86 LFS livecd
on i586 hardware, nothing exotic. At LFS-BOOK-6.1-HTML Chapter 5.9.1
("Installation of Expect"), when I get to "Build the package:", I enter
the command:

    make

after which I immediately get the message:

    make: *** No targets found and no makefile found. Stop.

with no other output.  The current directory
is /mnt/lfs/sources/expect-5.43, created by automatically by untaring
Expect in /mnt/lfs/sources, as with the previous packages.  I have tried
to follow the instructions exactly.  I tried searching the mailing list
archive for lfs-support, without success.  Any ideas?