Installing Binutils (5.3.1)

Seth Turner sethturner at triad.rr.com
Fri Oct 14 04:39:34 PDT 2005

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Melvin Poindexter wrote:

>1) What is the current working directory when
>executing 'mkdir ../binutils-build'?

For each package you install, you must unpack the archive. This will
create a source directory. You must then cd into the newly created
source directory. In your case. You would have the archive in
$LFS/sources. When you unpack it, you will get a directory called
$LFS/sources/binutils-2.15.94.0.2.2
You need to be in this directory when you execute the mkdir
../binutils-build command. This will place the build directory right
along side binutils-2.15.94.0.2.2 under $LFS/sources.

>2) Which user should I be logged in as when executing
>these commands? lfs or root?

At this point in the game, you need to be logged in as lfs. If you
recall, lfs has ownership of only two directories: $LFS/tools and
$LFS/sources. If you are $LFS/sources when you try the mkdir
../binutils-build from question 1, it would be trying to make the
binutils-build directory in / (where lfs does not have ownership) this
is why you were getting a permission denied.

>Chapter 5.3.1 is unclear to me. Ch. 4 left off
>sourcing the newly created .bash_profile while logged
>in as LFS (current dir: '/home/lfs'). If I continue
>logged in as LFS in Ch.5, then I cannot create the
>'../binutils-build' directory. Permission Denied.

See above. I got ahead of myself ;)

>I am able to follow the commands in 5.3.1 while logged
>in a root, however. But doesn't the environment
>interfere with Binutils installation while logged in
>as root?

Again, being in the right directory will solve your problem. You will be
able to do everything you need to as user lfs.

>Also simply using the command 'configure' (as in
>'../binultils-2.15.94.0.0.2/configure...') does not
>work. I must cd into the '/binutils- 15.94.0.2.2' as
>root and type it as './configure'. Again, doing this
>as user lfs yields the error './configure: line 436:
>./config.log: Permission Denied'.

This part I am not 100% sure on. Try it over again with the suggestions
above and perhaps this error will be solved in the process, if not, let
us know!

I hope some or all of this has been useful. Enjoy your build.
-Seth