Installing Binutils (5.3.1)

Melvin Poindexter melvinpoindexter at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 13 22:53:46 PDT 2005

Greetings,

I Have been going through LFS 6.1 using Knoppix 3.9 on
my hard drive as the host. open a shell session using
KDE's Konsole (which by default are non-login shells,
but I used the 'su - lfs' command in Ch.4 anyway). The
packages and patches I have on the LFS LiveCD. I've
scanned the FAQs and a few other docs but have not
found answers.

My questions concern Chapter 5.3.1 Installing
Binutils.

1) What is the current working directory when
executing 'mkdir ../binutils-build'?
2) Which user should I be logged in as when executing
these commands? lfs or root?

Chapter 5.3.1 is unclear to me. Ch. 4 left off
sourcing the newly created .bash_profile while logged
in as LFS (current dir: '/home/lfs'). If I continue
logged in as LFS in Ch.5, then I cannot create the
'../binutils-build' directory. Permission Denied.

I am able to follow the commands in 5.3.1 while logged
in a root, however. But doesn't the environment
interfere with Binutils installation while logged in
as root?

Also simply using the command 'configure' (as in
'../binultils-2.15.94.0.0.2/configure...') does not
work. I must cd into the '/binutils- 15.94.0.2.2' as
root and type it as './configure'. Again, doing this
as user lfs yields the error './configure: line 436:
./config.log: Permission Denied'.

Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.