error while make-ing binutils

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Oct 10 09:45:03 PDT 2005

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, sunaram wrote:

> sorry i thought binutils-2.15.97 is the newest. i have
> 21 unexpected errors in ld test. all the others are
> fine. should i continue?

  If this is NOT your first LFS, feel free to play with whatever package
versions you choose, even for the toolchain.  But, if it breaks, you get
to keep both pieces.  So, that would become your choice of whether or
not to continue ;)  My experience of binutils is that the testsuites
often break even though the result seems perfectly usable (e.g. a few
failures on ppc in 2.14, which were definitely problems with the
testsuite itself, and 7 failures in ld on x86_64-64), but 21 failures
sounds excessive.

  If this IS your first build of LFS, FBBG and therefore use a different
host system.  Somebody suggested building LFS-svn, which is likely to
work but is a moving target and therefore not recommended for newbies
(and also means following BLFS svn after LFS).  You know your own
capabilities and experience, pick a route you feel comfortable with.

Ken