Trying (and failing) to boot LFS from a Compact Flash card

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Oct 7 07:11:57 PDT 2005

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Jeroen Bruinink wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm trying to boot LFS from a compact flash card using a usb reader. I
> installed LFS in an image, using loopback and alfs. USB mass storage and SCSI
> support is in the kernel. I used dd to copy the image to my CF card
> (/dev/sda1). Next I installed Grub on the CF card.
>
> Now when I try to boot, I get a kernel panic because the kernel can't find
> /dev/sda1. Is there any way to solve this, preferably without using an
> initrd?

  I've never tried booting from CF, but I think I've seen people
mentioning that it is very slow to "start" (I think there used to be
patches, perhaps for 2.4, to add a delay).  Perhaps there are still
patches out there somewhere.  I was going to suggest hacking the
bootscripts, but I guess that even the earliest (mountkernfs) happens
after the kernel has failed to find its root device.

  Maybe this has been fixed in a newer kernel.

Ken