5.7 Adjusting the Toolchain .?

Iman Darabi iman.darabi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 14:00:10 PDT 2005

On 10/6/05, Ken Moffat <ken at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Iman Darabi wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > Host System : lfs live cd version:x86-6.1-2.
> > Book vresion: 6.1
> > As you know  : after using the sed script to amend the GCC specs file
> > to point to the new dynamic linker, the /tools/lib/ld-linux.so.2 will
> > replace with the /lib/ld-linux.so.2  in specs file .
> > ok , no problem ; but I'm using lfs live cd ,so i think i should
> > edit the specs file every time after booting the live cd  ,am i true?
> > should i do it until chapter 6?
> >

>   As I said to somebody else yesterday, I don't use the live CD.  But,
> /tools points to /mnt/lfs/tools, which is on the disk partition that
> will be mounted at '/' when you've completed the system, no ?
>  So, anything in /tools will retain its contents (if you doubt this, use
> less or view to look at it).
>
>Both of the seds to ammend the GCC specs files in both chapter 5 and 6
>modify the spec files of the GCC installed in $lfs/tools which is
>usualy on your hard drive, so the seds will only need to be run once.

Let me explain more :
The output of the (gcc --print-file specs) command is :
 /usr/lib/gcc/i486-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3/specs
so the content of the SPECFILE variable will be the path of specs host
,and sed script will edit host's specs file;
on the other hand there is
/tools/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.3/specs file on my hard drive;
when i use the sed script the host's specs will be edited and the
output of sanity check is correct but the spces file which is on my
hard drive will be unchanged .