Cross-lfs-20051005-x86

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Oct 6 08:47:06 PDT 2005

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Luca wrote:

> Hi all
>
> In Version 7.0-cross-lfs-20051005-x86 in Chapter 4.5 I'm having the following
> error:
>
> lfs at SUSE93:~> install -d $HOME/cross-tools
> lfs at SUSE93:~> exit
> exit
> SUSE93:~ # LFSHOME=`su - lfs -c 'echo $HOME'`
> lfs at SUSE93:~> ln -s $LFSHOME/cross-tools /
> ln: creating symbolic link `//cross-tools' to `/cross-tools': Permission
> denied
>
> Host system is SuSE 9.3
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Luca

  Hmm, user lfs seems to be able to create the $HOME/cross-tools
directory, but somehow the command to set LFSHOME has failed.  Nothing
obvious comes to mind, perhaps it's a strangeness in how SuSE is set up.
I guess you need to check that the directory created was indeed
/home/lfs/cross-tools rather than e.g. /mnt/lfs/cross-tools or even
/cross-tools.

  Assuming it was created correctly, you should be able to work around
it with LFSHOME=/home/lfs.

BTW, I hope you are following lfs-dev : just like lfs-svn, things can go
wrong.  Today I changed the build order for the final system (coreutils
after gcc in chapter 10) to fix problems with findutils.

Ken