LFS 6.1 build and boot problem

Jeremy Shivers shivers53 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 5 11:28:57 PDT 2005

Thanks for the reply.

>Sounds possible, what is your machine ?

P3 600
384 RAM
24 Gb 5400RPM
Intel e100 integrated nic

>   Maybe strange characters in the bootscripts (I would typically expect
>"command not found: k: line 2"  type information if the command was called
>'k', but you don't have the ': ' so it looks something weird in the
>scripts.)

Same here. I'll check out the bootscripts and see if find any discrepancies.

>   If the bootscripts themselves are correct (which I would expect, because
>nowadays we just install them), then perhaps something didn't get built.
>Sounds as if the live CD is an automated build (I've never used it), you
>might need to ask on the live CD list (or check that you haven't
>accidentally disabled something else when you disabled the glibc checks).

	Yes the process is automated but I assume the commands in the profile are
the same as those in the book? Command for command I don't think anything
would be different if I was typing them at the keyboard or a program was
running them for me. Would it be worth it to build the system manually
following each chapter in the book? The automated process takes about 6
hours and 30 minutes to complete. If I remove all gcc "make check"s I can
get it down to almost 5 hours. I usually let it run at night. I also checked
the md5sum on the bootscripts and everything was ok. Could the scripts
somehow get messed up upon install?

I can verify that I only commented out the "make check"s in the profile.

Thanks again,
   J. Shivers