LFS 6.1 build and boot problem

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Oct 5 10:25:58 PDT 2005

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Jeremy Shivers wrote:

> 	I'm trying to build a 6.1 system using the livecd-3 released a couple
> of days ago. I start the build process and everything runs fine until it gets
> to the pass 1 glibc tests.
>
> All of the tests up until this one succeed:

[...]
> /lfs/tools/build/glibc-build/resolv/tst-leaks.out
> -: Timed out: killed the child process
> -: make[2]: *** [/lfs/tools/build/glibc-build/resolv/tst-leaks.out] Error 1

> 	I figure no problem, my computer must be too slow for the tests.

  Sounds possible, what is your machine ?

>  The entire system builds fine however after booting
> the kernel the lfs bootscripts give out weird text. Below is verbatim
> character for character of what I get on the console.
>
> The text is okay up until the hotplug script:

> ]
> : command not foundk: line 2:
> : command not foundk: line 4:
> : command not foundk: line 6:

  Maybe strange characters in the bootscripts (I would typically expect
"command not found: k: line 2"  type information if the command was
called 'k', but you don't have the ': ' so it looks something weird in
the scripts.)

> Everything else if okay until setting the hostname and bringing up the
> network card:

> ...ting hostname to lfshost						[  OK
> ]
> Bringing up the eth0 interface...
> : command not foundork-devices/ifconfig.eth0/ipv4: line 2:
> : command not foundork-devices/ifconfig.eth0/ipv4: line 7:
>
> 	The network doesn't come up and then I get the login prompt. I have
> never had a problem building a 6.0 system using the live cd. This is the
> first time I have ever encountered any of this. Does anybody know what is
> happening or what is wrong?

  Start by taking a look at the bootscripts, and everything in
/etc/sysconfig, to see if there is any strangeness.  Also, look at the
'agetty' lines in /etc/inittab (miskeying  -I '\033(K' can cause strange
results).

  If the bootscripts themselves are correct (which I would expect,
because nowadays we just install them), then perhaps something didn't
get built.  Sounds as if the live CD is an automated build (I've never
used it), you might need to ask on the live CD list (or check that you
haven't accidentally disabled something else when you disabled the glibc
checks).

Ken